Apparently, I’ve heard that a cluttered environment can lead to depression. Well, maybe that is due to the ongoing stress that the overwhelm creates within you – the piles of hard work ahead, the WHOLE house or office to clean!
So break it down. One room at a time – over a month even, and one drawer or cupboard or corner at a time each day! That’s it.
Goals. Action steps. Progress milestones. Achievement. Reward!
Goal: To declutter the house and make space, even money
Purpose: To feel less stressed each day
- Clear one room at a time – make a plan
- Clear one drawer/cupboard/corner each day of the week
- Annual review each year diary’d in
Milestones: One room completed and clear of unnecessary and unwanted items.
Reward: Money in your bank to buy something you NEED that makes your life easier, happier, whether a break or toward your holiday or pension
Purge the wardrobe
- Old shoes you never wear now, clothes no longer fitting you (unlikely you will do in future or keep three!), underwear.
- Decide on a colour scheme and stick to those mix n match from now on
- Sort the tops, skirts/trousers, casual and work – easier to find, less stress!
- Send the oddments to the second hand shop!
- Put dishes together for ease of use when cooking, eating, clearing up
- If it doesn’t work, throw it out now!
- If it’s no use to you but works, give it away
- Tidy the table from the dumped stuff
Mail and paper file
Everyone has one – you just toss it to do later
- Toss the rubbish
- File the bank records
- Pay the bills and file for the year (toss the old ones out!
- Cosmetics empty? Toss the bottles!
- Make up unused throw it or give it
- Sort the leftovers to use next and then it’s tidier
- Wipe over everything you keep and you feel better using it next time too
Bags & Purses
- Empty your bag weekly and sort out the old tissues, the coins at the bottom and the key you lost last month!
- Sort your pockets with all you need regularly easy to access.
- Use zip or extra pockets for the just in case bits you carry!
- Put small value coins in a jar for a treat!
- Sort your money and check weekly what you have and need
Desk at home or work
- To do pile to your left
- To do list to your right to tick off as you do it!
- Sort related items and FILE THEM
- Use plastic wallets to hold papers together, or staple them for permanence
- Update files – toss out old papers (remembering legal needs for finance and staff records!)
- Delete from your Netflix list so you can see what you haven’t watched!
- Sort the CD or even video collection!
- Make a list to access easily of those you want to watch – add two a night!
- Make a place for it
- Sort into boxes and label if necessary
- Put away but keep it handy to use when you can!
Your goals and plans for the year
- A book for notes – goals and dreams
- Action steps daily and weekly
- Progress check monthly
- Support network to help you
- Resources to build v those you have
- Update you CV even if you’re not looking right now!
- Do a SWOT analysis of YOURSELF – strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats to happiness
- New boundaries you need to put in place to protect your time and energy, self belief
- Learn to say no more often to other people’s monkeys
- Limit time with toxic people – or lose them from you life if you can!