1. Buy things with cash wherever possible. Live within your means, don’t rely on others for money or time, or help. If they give you their time or offer their help (and it will help!) then take it willingly. But don’t take their money.
2. Maintain your car, home, and other personal belongings you rely on – be self-reliant. This is important to having that personal power, empowerment to be who you want to be and who you can be! I heard this when I was 16 years old and held on to it as far as I can. And realise I should have done more of it!
3. Smile often, even to complete strangers. Always have, and always will. At least in adulthood! I like people, I like engaging, but I like my space. Smiling passed on good feelings, they share theirs with others as they pass and it spreads. It might be the only person they engage with, or the only person who smiles at them all day, all week!
4. If you hate doing it, stop it. It can be changed! Hard maybe, problematic no doubt, but it can be changed slowly or quickly. It takes 30 days to change a habit!
5. “Accept that life is hard …and it gets easier”. This isn’t to say that you accept your lot, or that life is negative – it means that you stop believing the fantasy that life should be good to you, come easily or that difficult things won’t happen. They will. They do. But then, without them how would you know the good times? And appreciate them when they come too!